Here’s the deal:
B.C. drivers can take advantage of three incentives to support the purchase of electric vehicles.
- Federal iZEV incentive, up to $5,000 . New vehicles only. Point of sale, so you don’t need to apply.
- Provincial Go Electric Passenger Vehicle Rebate, up to $4,000 . New vehicles only. Rebates are based on your income and require pre-approval through the Go Electric website .
- BC SCRAP-IT, up to $500 . New and used vehicles. Application process and scrap vehicle required.
- Plus, electric vehicles benefit from a higher luxury surcharge tax threshold (additional tax is applied on vehicles priced at $75,000 instead of $55,000) and used EVs are exempt from PST.
- These incentives can be combined for big savings!
Federal iZEV program
As of May 1, 2019, the Government of Canada provides point-of-sale incentives for fully battery electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with a base model MSRP under $55,000, or under $60,000 in the case of larger vehicles like pickups and vans. Higher trim models of qualifying base vehicles may still be eligible.
The iZEV program is managed by Transport Canada, and offers up to $5,000 off the purchase price of a qualifying new battery electric vehicle, $2,500-$5,000 on a plug-in hybrid (depending on range), and up to $5,000 for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle.
Eligible vehicles are listed on the program page. This incentive can be combined with the CleanBC Go Electric and SCRAP-IT programs.iZEV incentive
Provincial Go Electric Passenger Vehicle Rebate
The Go Electric Passenger Vehicle Rebate offers up to $4,000 off the purchase price of a qualifying new battery electric, up to $2,000 for a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, and up to $4,000 for a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. Maximum rebate amounts are based on income and require pre-approval through an application .
Eligible vehicles are listed on the program site. This incentive can be combined with the iZEV and SCRAP-IT programs.Go Electric Passenger Vehicle Rebate
BC SCRAP-IT Program
BC SCRAP-IT is a voluntary early retirement vehicle program that provides incentives to help British Columbians replace higher polluting vehicles with cleaner forms of transportation. The program is designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to lower exhaust pollutants across the province. All scrapped vehicles and their components are permanently and properly recycled.
Incentives for up to $500 are available for a qualifying new/used fully battery electric vehicle, and $400 for a new/used qualifying plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.
BC SCRAP-IT is offered in limited quantities every year but can be combined with the CleanBC Go Electric and iZEV programs. Eligible vehicles are listed on the program website.BC SCRAP-IT incentive
Electric vehicle tax exemptions
In addition to the rebates for purchasing electric vehicles, please be aware that:
- The luxury surcharge tax is applied to EVs priced at or above $75,000. For other vehicles, it kicks in at $55,000. Therefore, most EVs will not have the higher tax rate applied.
- Used EVs are PST exempt.
- These changes were announced with the BC Budget 2022 . See links to bulletins here .